Veterinary Team Tune-Up
June 23, 2020
You and your team members may feel like hamsters on a wheel, constantly spinning, with no vision beyond the daily routine. I imagine you are satisfied with providing daily care to patients, because that’s what we do as veterinary professionals. But wouldn’t it feel better to work toward a common purpose or goal, to include providing extraordinary patient care?
While the acronym TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More) may seem cliché, to me, it’s a timeless classic. Together Everyone Achieves More, especially when there is a defined purpose and an established, common goal to reach.
Read the entire article in Veterinary Practice News.
Time for a TEAM Tune-Up?
With the expert coaches and tangible tools received during the Veterinary Teams Living Well Streamed Symposium, veterinary teams can spend a weekend defining their Values, Vision and Mission (VVM), create Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in Veterinary Team Wellbeing and prioritize the goals to move forward into a productive, purposeful Summer. Consider it a TEAM Tune-Up!
Examples of team purpose:
- Treat each patient and pet parent with dignity
- Work alongside team members with integrity
- Be an integral and respected part of the local community
Examples of team goals include:
- Receive favorable ratings on client surveys
- Decrease team turnover to reflect other industry averages (15 percent)
- Engage in three community events annually, as a team
- Debrief traumatic team incidences with 24 hours
There are three ways to evaluate (or design) your hospital’s values, vision, and mission statements.
- Through dictatorship, where the owner(s) hide in the back room, huddled in a secretive manner, exclusively defining their team’s destiny in veterinary medicine and client service.
- Upper management hides in a back room, exclusively crafting their team’s destiny.
- All team members collaborate in defining personal values, professional vision, and daily mission. Common values, shared professional vision, and daily mission are created in an inclusive manner.